How to Choose a Car to Buy
Are you looking for a car and do not know where to start? Do not worry, it’s normal. In our we are going to tell you what to choose from different aspects including models, cheap, expensive, large and small, sporty, modest. In short, there are dozens of alternatives for each category, and even in one brand, it is easy to find three or four cars that could fit your budget and meet your needs. But the problem is that you can only choose one, what will be your smart purchase?
We wrote a very simple guideline to facilitate your choice, so that you know at a first glance the alternatives you have.
In any case, this car buying guide is made to help you decide in the complex purchase process.
The first and Foremost Consideration: The Budget
To decide the purchase of any high price product, always set a maximum budget and try not to exceed it. We know that it is tempting to be fooled by the price, comfort, desire for more expensive car buying. But keep in mind that the financing usually involves other expenses (commissions) that will adds up the cost to grow that will make actual amount much higher than your initial budget.
So make sure you have a clear budget and, in the case of financing, make sure that you can also cope with the monthly installments and loan opening and closing amounts. Never set a budget beyond your ability.
If the budget is not enough to find a car that meets your needs, consider the possibility of buying a used car . We tell you in the following guide: is it better to buy a new or second hand car?
Be clear about your needs and perform discards
Never purchase a car that will not suit your needs. If you are traveling with the whole family, do not give up a large luggage compartment. You’ll regret not having bought a more spacious car when you check that You can not carry all your luggage. Also make sure you have chosen a quality subwoofer for your car.
Here are Few More Criteria You May Follow
- Going to travel many kilometers , minimum 30,000 or 40,000 kilometers a year: The intelligent purchase is perhaps a diesel.
- Going to a few kilometers and usually in the city , less than 15,000 a year: Get away from the diesel. Generally, you will not redeem it until a few years pass and modern diesel – for their anti-pollution systems – are often very prone to problems in these conditions.
- Will usually use the rear seats? , for example to take the children to school: Maybe you should discard, because of the inconvenience of folding seats, cars with less than four doors.
- For large luggage compartment, to travel with small children or with the whole family:Citroën C4 Picasso MPVs are a good alternative, economical, but not the only one. SUVs – type Qashqai – have become the most popular alternative, but generally are not so economical. The four-door sedan – type Mondeo – is also spacious, but not as economical as the previous ones. Finally, there are family-type ranchera derived from compact, very economic and often with a trunk larger than all previous.
- For Large family : Do not hesitate, you need a seven seater and if possible large size. If you have to use the sixth and seventh places usually, look for a car that has a third row of seats suitable for continuous use and also a large luggage compartment. Not all minivans enjoy a third row of loose seats, for example for a child over ten years.
- Do not need a big trunk, but an agile car in town? Do not let yourself be taken by the big car maximum, walk or do not walk. There are currently small utilities, segment A – type Twingo – and segment B – type Ford Fiesta – really comfortable and equipped with technology and comfort elements similar to those of higher models.
- I want to go out on the field with my car : Do not hesitate, the SUV – type Qashqai and Kuga – is your best choice. Modern SUVs do not have the off-piste capability of a good SUV, but they do in most situations you’ll find yourself traveling on complicated roads and tracks. If you want a very spacious luggage compartment and an agile car on the road, perhaps you should also consider a familiar “campero” – type Volkswagen Passat Alltrack.
- I like speed, I want a powerful car: The offer of fun cars is really extensive, from the smallest and economic – Fiesta type ST – to the most powerful and expensive – type Porsche Boxster and Cayman . To enjoy a good sport, you will not always have to go for a premium brand, a rear-wheel drive, or a very powerful car. There are fun and very economical options, not to mention the second-hand market . Also do not forget that the most expensive and powerful sports cars also usually have a high maintenance and refueling cost.
- Do not like running and always travel at legal speeds : Don’t be fooled, if you do not need a powerful car, do not buy a powerful car. Up to 4.5 meters, a car around 100 hp with turbo engine, whether diesel or gasoline, has enough power to go much faster than the law allows us, also to make incorporation and overtaking safely.
- Like to enjoy the outdoors, what convertible do I choose? Modern convertibles have improved a lot compared to yesteryear, with faster opening and closing systems, less sealing problems (no leaks that allow rainwater to enter the passenger compartment) and more secure against vandalism and theft. You can choose cabriolets with canvas roof, the most classic style, or with hard top, coupé style