Exide Car Battery Review: What You Need To Know
When you are driving around town or cruising down the highway, you probably don’t think much about your car’s battery. That’s OK, as most batteries tend to have a long life.
Still, if your car’s battery dies, you may find yourself stranded in a place where you would rather not spend a lot of time. Periodically inspecting your vehicle’s battery is often the most effective way to diagnose problems with it. Likewise, purchasing a jump start device is a good option for avoiding breakdowns due to battery issues.
- Exide Car Battery Review
- FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
- FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
- FP-AGML4/94R Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
- Exide FP-AGM78 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
- MC-31 Megacycle AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free Marine Battery
- What Are Exide Car Batteries and How Do They Work?
- Pricing and Warranties
- Public Perception
- Our Opinion
Nonetheless, you can’t put up with an old, damaged or ineffective car battery.
When it is time to replace yours, you may feel overwhelmed by the enormous number of batteries on the market today. While you have options, you may want to consider purchasing an Exide battery. This brand has gained the confidence of consumers everywhere by manufacturing top-quality batteries.
To help you better understand the potential of Exide batteries, we have put together a comprehensive Exide car battery review. Because we want to give you accurate, reliable information, we break down specifications and customer opinions in an easy-to-understand way. If we identify a problem, we attempt to explain it concisely.
Simply put, by the end of the article, we want you to feel confident about your understanding of Exide car batteries.
Exide Car Battery Review
FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
If you live where temperatures are extreme, you need a battery that has adequate cold cranking amps. The Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 does. The 850 cold cranking amps (CCA) this battery delivers are perfect for starting your vehicle when temperatures drop. Meanwhile, the battery’s spill-proof construction allows you to mount it in virtually any position, making it ideal for car enthusiasts who want to modify their vehicles.
The Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 beats the competition with its 25-amp reserve capacity, making it the perfect choice for heavy-use vehicles or stop-and-start applications. Even better, this battery performed extraordinarily well during stress tests. For a powerful, reliable battery, the Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 is difficult to beat. Meanwhile, at around $245, this battery has a moderate price tag.
- 850 CCA
- 160-minute reserve capacity at 25 amps
- Excellent for automobile use
FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
While no Exide battery is extremely expensive, the Exide Edge FP-AGM24F is one of the most affordable.
This battery usually retails for around $160. Even though you won’t have to break the bank to purchase this battery, you will likely be impressed by its performance. The 710 cold cranking amps make this an ideal battery for cold-weather conditions. Likewise, the spill-proof design is low maintenance and safe.
- 710 CCA
- 120-minute reserve capacity at 25 amps
- Ideal for cold-weather driving conditions
FP-AGML4/94R Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
The Exide Edge FP-AGML4/94R is another affordable Exide battery. Selling for approximately $170, this battery gives you 800 cold cranking amps with a 140-minute reserve capacity. You also get spill-proof AGM technology with this battery.
The obvious advantage of purchasing the Exide Edge FP-AGML4/94R is its longevity. Many consumers have reported that this battery exceeds the manufacturer’s estimated lifespan. Meanwhile, because this Exide battery holds up well through many stress tests, you don’t have to worry about it failing prematurely.
- 800 CCA
- 140-minute reserve capacity at 25 amps
- Impressive longevity
Exide FP-AGM78 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
Unlike some of the other Exide batteries available, the Exide FP-AGM78 is a lightweight power source. In fact, this battery weighs just a bit over 8 ounces, making it one of the lightest batteries of any brand on the market today. If you use your vehicle for racing or other lightweight pursuits, this battery is an excellent option.
Even though the Exide FP-AGM78 is light, it delivers a compelling performance. You can expect 770 cold cranking amps and a no-spill design when you purchase this battery.
- 770 CCA
- 120-minute reserve capacity at 25 amps
- Lightweight construction
MC-31 Megacycle AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free Marine Battery
Exide makes batteries for a variety of vehicles. The Exide MC-31 is appropriate for use on boats. The main advantage of this battery is its low discharge rate. As such, you don’t have to worry about your boat’s battery dying when it isn’t in regular use.
- 700 CCA
- 200-minute reserve capacity
- Great for watercraft
What Are Exide Car Batteries and How Do They Work?
Your vehicle requires electricity to run. Your car’s battery provides that electricity by acting as a rechargeable power cell. When you turn the key, your car’s battery powers its starter, which engages the engine. As you drive, your vehicle’s alternator steps into power the vehicle and recharge its battery.
There are many brands of car batteries available to consumers. One of the most popular is Exide. Based in India, the company has developed a worldwide following of devoted fans. The company produces a variety of battery types in its factories in India and Sri Lanka. Which one is right is for your vehicle depends on your power output goals.
In our attempt to honestly review Exide automobile batteries, we have considered a few factors.
To give you the most informative data, we evaluated Exide and its individual battery models based on the following criteria:
• Specifications – Analyzing car batteries can be somewhat of a numbers game. You don’t, however, have to get lost in the technical details. We have limited our review to a few key specifications, including cold cranking amps, reserve capacity, construction, and charge.
• Pricing – We didn’t focus too much on the overall price of individual Exide batteries. Still, there is quite a range from model to model. As such, we mention the price of each model if it is an outlier.
• Customer Reviews – Whether they are happy or disappointed, customers usually aren’t shy about sharing their experiences online. We have considered the reviews of actual customers to better explain the advantages and drawbacks of Exide batteries.
Finally, we haven’t carefully reviewed every model of Exide battery. Instead, we look at some unique ones and consider the brand generally. Remember, there are dozens of Exide batteries on the market, so you must independently decide if the one you choose to purchase meets your high standards.
Pricing and Warranties
Overall, since most Exide batteries carry a moderate price tag, they are neither the most expensive nor cheapest batteries on the market. Still, when you consider the construction and features of Exide batteries, you get quite a bit of bang for your buck.
Also, for budgeting purposes, plan to spend between $160 and $300 on your new Exide battery. Of course, some high-performance batteries will set you back even more than that.
While most consumers reported battery life that was longer than they expected, Exide does offer some impressive warranty protection. On most of its products, the company offers a four-year, limited, non-prorated warranty. Also, before you file a warranty claim, be sure you check the charge on your power source. Often, a battery simply needs a jolt to return to regular performance.
Gauging public perception for car batteries can be tricky. When consumers don’t have battery problems, they often fail to write reviews. When they do, their reports can be hyperbolic.
To give you a realistic idea of how the public perceives Exide batteries, we read through hundreds of customer reviews.
As you know, consumers usually aren’t shy about sharing good and bad experiences online.
The glowing reviews about Exide batteries generally fall into the following four categories:
- Longevity – Many online reviewers express delight in the longevity of Exide batteries. Dozens of reviews report that their batteries have lasted longer than they expected. Some even report battery life that is two or three times the length of the manufacturer’s estimates.
- Performance – Other reviewers rave about the performance of their Exide batteries. Some even make videos to show their vehicles starting in extreme temperatures using an Exide battery.
- Customer Service – Some reviewers had problems with their batteries or needed answers to questions. When these customers contacted customer service, most were satisfied with response times and the help they received.
- Warranty – Many of the customers who needed to take advantage of the Exide warranty often found the process to be simple.
As you may suspect, not every online review of Exide batteries is good. Some customers determined Exide to be inferior to other brands of batteries.
Additionally, others expressed disappointment when their batteries stopped working. Still, the comparatively few negative reviews about Exide batteries is telling.
Finally, when we balance the specifications, pricing, warranty, and reviews of Exide batteries, we are impressed. While not every battery the company produces is right for every type of vehicle, most are affordable and reliable. Our general impression is that Exide batteries are some of the best automotive power sources on the market today.
In our estimation, you probably can’t go wrong by investing in an Exide battery. Still, be sure you consider your driving objectives and the battery’s output potential to be certain you are purchasing the best Exide battery for your vehicle.
Featured Image: CC0 Public Domain via Canva, with text, banner, and logo added.